Wednesday 10 June 2020

Holy-Grail Skincare I Always Repurchase


When it comes to skincare, I have a strictly no-thrills approach.

My skin is dry, sensitive, and prone to redness; so I tend to use the most basic products possible. I’ll occasionally pick up something new to try out of sheer curiosity, but for the most part, I’ll continually repurchase the same tried-and-tested items that work for me. Here are the very few products that don’t freak out my sensitive skin:

My favourite natural skincare products.

I don’t use a lot of “natural” products in my routine, but there are two that I continually repurchase because they’re better value than drugstore alternatives, and much more effective on my dry skin. (I also use both products on my hair.)

The first is Coconut Oil*. This is my main cleanser of choice – you can get a massive jar for around £10, and even though I use it to double cleanse on my face every evening and as a deep conditioner for my hair, I still only need to repurchase it 2-3 times a year. It melts makeup instantly, doesn’t irritate my eyes, and leaves my skin feeling hydrated.

I also love Argon Oil*. (You can get Argon Oil from The Ordinary, and I’m sure a few other brands have it as well, but I just get mine in a big 100ml bottle from eBay.) I apply this after cleansing, and nothing else feels as nourishing.


The only semi-expensive items I actually buy.

I prefer to focus on affordable beauty items over here, but I’ve been repurchasing these two items from La Roche Posay for at least a year and a half and haven’t found anything else I like as much. I use their La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Soothing Face and Body Balm B5* every morning and evening and although it doesn’t magically cure my sensitive skin, it definitely prevents it from getting any worse.

I’m also a big fan of the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Comfort Cream SPF 50+*. I’ve tried quite a few SPF products over the years; and they’ve ever been far too thick and greasy, or contained alcohol and caused irritation. This one feels like a moisturiser, so it’s much more lightweight on the skin. It’s also the only sunscreen I’ve ever been able to use around my eyes without stinging, and I’m happy to confirm it sits perfectly under makeup.

Cheap, basic favourites.

There are some items that I just don’t feel the need to spend money on. I always like to have a bottle of Micellar Water around – I’ll either pick up the one from Garnier* or the one from Simple*, depending which is on offer at the time. I’ve tried a few Micellar Water’s at this point and honestly can’t tell the difference between any of them, I’m pretty sure they’re all exactly the same.

Another product I never spend money on is lip balm. I’m assuming the more expensive ones are slightly better, but I don’t trust myself to buy them because I lose lip balms after a couple of weeks. They just magically disappear, like socks or bobby pins. So I usually just grab the own-brand Superdrug Lip Balm*, which does the job nicely.

Watch My Latest Skincare Haul

Things I avoid when buying skincare products.

As you can see, I keep my skincare pretty simple and don’t use anything with fragrance, glitter, physical exfoliants, or anything else along those lines. When I’m on Instagram I always see bright, colourful face masks and sparkly serums – but I have to keep scrolling and remind myself that those products will just cause a reaction for me. I’ve found over the years that sticking to really basic, boring items has really helped my skin feel less irritable. I guess for my skin, less is more.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!