Monday, 28 September 2015

Warm Vintage Instagram Theme

Warm Vintage Instagram Theme

I go through phases of loving and loathing Instagram, so recently I changed my theme to reignite my spark for sharing pictures. I love the bright, white photos with marble backgrounds that seem to dominate my feed, but to me it is far more important to have a unique style. I wanted to go for a Vintage-inspired theme that complimented my blog but could stand alone. It took a bit of trial and error, but I've finally settled on a look I'm happy with so I thought I'd share how I do it.

A photo posted by Alice Red (@missalicered) on

First of all, my smartphone doesn't have the best camera in the world, so I take my photographs on a compact camera or DSLR instead and have to send it to my phone afterwards (this is one of the key reasons I don't post on Instagram more often).

Once it's on my phone, I open up Afterlight to edit the image, which is where the fun begins. I'll start by correcting the image if required, tweaking the temperature, brightness and contrast. Then I'll add a filter, or layer several, to get the vintage effect I'm after. Russ (under Guest) is my favourite one so most of the time I stick with that, but sometimes I'll go to Seasons and add the Howl or Wicker filter on top, but at a much lower percentage if it's the second filter to stop the image looking too over-processed.

A photo posted by Alice Red (@missalicered) on

Having warm colours like red and orange is a bit part of the warm theme, so if there's an image which doesn't have those colours (like the one where I'm in the woods looking at leaves on the ground) then I'll add that element using a red or orange light leak. I tend to turn down the opacity when I do this so that it doesn't dominate the image.

A nice finishing touch is to add some grain, maybe a bit of fade, and a nice bit of dust. And voilĂ ! That's how I do my vintage Instagram theme. Don't forget to follow me @missalicered!

1 comment:

  1. Love your theme! I love marble and black and white photos too but it's nice to see something different and refreshing!
    Gorgeous pictures
    Lisa
    Beautyspotl.com

    ReplyDelete