Monday, 4 May 2015

Refreshing My Instagram Feed

Alice Red Instagram
I don't really get on with social media, probably because I'm not a social person to begin with. Writing blog posts and editing videos seems like a natural process to me, but talking to people, self promotion, hashtags, and everything else that comes with social media just goes way over my head.

You would have thought that seeing as I have a Master's Degree in Photography that Instagram would be my favourite way to express myself, right? Nope. It's actually the opposite. Whenever I upload a photograph I'm always cautious of it being criticised, of it "not being good enough". What if people think it's crap? What if someone looks at it and goes 'That's the worst photograph I've ever seen in my life. How on Earth did she ever get such a high qualification?'

Anyway, as part of my blog relaunch I'm trying to step up my social media game in general, but I'm making a particular effort with Instagram just because it's the one thing that I was really unhappy with. So I stalked a few profiles that I really liked and tried to pin-point what it was that made them so good. Every single one had a consistent, easily recognisable "style", which is the main thing I've been trying to do ever since.


I find it much easier to use a "proper" camera than my iPhone 4, so I've been using my Sony RX100 set to a 1X1 ratio with the rule of third grids to help me frame square shots. I really enjoy documenting the time I spend with my other half in Stratford-upon-Avon, as well as photographing Manchester when I'm wondering around the city centre... and of course the odd selfie never hurt anyone, right?

Once I get home I download the pictures on to my computer and then email them to myself. Then I edit them on the Afterlight app and (this is the important bit, folks) I use the same filter every time. This is probably the easiest way to make your images look consistent. Then I add a bit of brightness, contrast, Lux, and a few hashtags and I'm good to go.

Have you got any social media tips? I'd love to know!

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree with using the same filter and lightings! Great post!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Such a small change but really helps keep the photos consistent! Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  2. I do think it's good to have a theme throughout your instagram account. And your photos are really nice!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! I've had a lot more likes since I stepped up my game x

      Delete