Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Sensitive Skin Saviours

Lush Ultrabland Cleanser

My skin has improved a lot recently - though now that I've said that, I'll probably break out in zits by the time this post gets published. I've always had a fairly red complexion (it's a ginger thing), but last year when there was a bit of a heatwave in the UK (remember that? *shivers*) it was prone to flushing, itchiness and extreme sensitivity. Since then I've been taking care of it, researching skincare and looking at how my skin reacts to certain products. I realised I'm sensitive to perfume and got rid of makeup that contained it and saw an instant improvement. I think I'm sensitive to a few other ingredients, too, but I haven't figured out what they are yet. What I do know is that when it comes to skincare it's best to keep things simple. Here are some of my favourite products that I know will keep my skin even and hydrated...

Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil is the best makeup remover I've ever used. It does the job instantly, and even shifts mascara without stinging the eyes. I always have a huge tub of this in the bathroom as I love to put it on the ends of my hair for a couple of hours before I shampoo it, too. It's good stuff. I normally use the Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Raw Organic Coconut Oil, which is 100% pure Coconut Oil, but as it was too big to bring to the Midlands I've been using this one from Superdrug. 

I've written a whole post about this over here. This removes makeup and mascara pretty easily too, but at the moment I love using it as the second cleanse after I've got my makeup off with the coconut oil. If you have dry skin like me, using coconut oil and then the Lush cleanser will give you the softest skin you have ever had. My pot is nearly empty now, but by the time it's done it will have lasted three months which isn't bad.

E45 Itch Relief - not photographed as I stupidly forgot to bring it with me.
This is a life saver if you've tried out a new foundation or cleanser and you're instantly sensitive to it - whip it off, and put this on the affected areas, and your skin will forgive you. I like to test lots of foundations for this blog, but I find that I always itch after using the cheaper ones.

Having sensitive skin isn't just about redness - sometimes, my skin will show it's anger in the form of spots. For those days, I apply a rapid treatment spot cream to the affected areas. This one from Boots helps them go down in size fairly quickly.

For those with dry, sensitive skin, this will become an essential in your kit. This is an extra moisture boost before your moisturiser. When I first tried this I thought it did nothing, but I really felt the effects once I'd put moisturiser on top. The only complaint I have about this is that I seem to be getting through it rather quickly, but apart from that I'd really recommend the entire Aloe range if you want skincare with no perfume/alcohol/other crap.

For me, sun protection is a must all year round as I'm so pale. I think the sun makes my skin worse if it's not protected. I love having it in my moisturiser as it's far less greasy than using it on it's own. I have an SPF50 cream that I crack out in warmer weather, but I have to let it skin in for ten minutes so it's highly impractical for everyday wear. If you know a high SPF cream without the grease then please let me know in the comments as I'm seriously struggling.

With the help of my favourite products, my face is far less flushed these days. Is there any skincare you swear by? Do share.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely try the Body Shop Aloe Serum! I love the toner from that range :) xx

    Magpie Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, mine's nearly used up! xx

      Delete