Wednesday, 25 March 2015

My Collection of Revlon Lip Butters

Revlon lip butter swatches

Revlon Lip Butter Peach Parfait Sweet Tart Wild Watermelon Berry Smoothie Macaroon Candy Apple Swatches

The Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters are a perfect example of how blogger hype makes me buy things that in all honesty I might not have looked at otherwise. I own six in total - three I'm completely in love with, two shades I wear when I'm feeling a bit braver but still quite like, and one of them I can't stand. How did I end up with so many? Well, with more expensive brands like Revlon I tend to wait until they're on 3 for 2 or similar, as it's slightly better value for money, therefore I ended up buying more of them. However, because they're basically very thick lip balms most of them are quite sheer and some end up having a similar effect - which you probably noticed in the swatches.

The Dud: Peach Parfait
Let's get the crappy one out of the way first. Remember all the hype when these came out a couple of years ago? I sure do. I was so excited to try one. As £7.99 is a little on the pricey side for me I wanted to swatch a few, but all the testers in the shop had melted or been smooshed by previous customers who clearly couldn't control their excitement. It was very difficult to tell what I would like, so I ended up getting Peach Parfait. Which sucks. It's a lovely shade but it's far too glittery, you can actually feel the little chunks of glitter on your lips which I wasn't expecting. I thought it would be quite a moisturising product but the glitter had the opposite effect, so I put in the Reject Drawer (we all have one) and moved on.

The Brights: Sweet Tart and Wild Watermelon
I'm not sure what made me decide to give the Lip Butter's another chance, but I was looking for some brighter lipsticks for my collection last summer and decided to give them another go as they were on offer at the time. These shades would be outside my comfort zone in any other formula, but because they're so sheer I knew they wouldn't be too scary. Sweet Tart is a bright blue-toned pink that's perfect for Spring, I don't think I wore it much when I got it but it's the sort of shade I'm really into at the moment. I also got Wild Watermelon, which is at that juicy sweet-spot between pink and red. Both can be worn sheer or built up, and unlike Peach Parfait neither of them have any glitter. I love wearing these in the hotter months.

The Neutrals: Berry Smoothie and Macaroon
Sometime after that, I saw Miss Budget Beauty's video on her Lip Butter collection (she has a really helpful video over here full of swatches, super helpful if you want one but can't figure out which colour). She owns all of them and was very honest that some are better than others. I really liked the look of some of the neutral ones she owned and thought I'd grab my two favourites. Berry Smoothie is a sheer, beautiful purpley-pink, which is the sort of colour I've been wearing a lot recently. Macaroon is a lovely mid-pink and probably one of the more opaque colours I own. Both of these do have glitter, but not very much, and you certainly can't feel it on the lips. I definitely wear these two the most.

The Christina Hendricks: Candy Apple
As I said in my recent post, I bought this with the intention of doing a Christina Hendricks tutorial in the future. In the picture I'm going to be basing it on, she's wearing a beautiful coral red lip colour that looks like a sheer formula. This is a perfect match, although I probably won't film the tutorial until I've practiced my gel liner a couple more times. 

My favourites from my collection are Macaroon, Berry Smoothie and Wild Watermelon, and I wear them a lot because they go with most of my eye looks. I love the shades Sweet Tart and Candy Apple but I don't wear them quite as often, just because they're not quite as versatile as the other three. As for Peach Parfait? It's still in the Reject Drawer.

Have you tried the Revlon Lip Butters? Which ones are your favourites?

2 comments:

  1. These lippies look so pretty! I really like Macaroon and I'll be checking it out. Great post! :)

    Kisses, Kali
    www.kalisinspiration.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macaroon is one of the best ones! You'll love it xx

      Delete