Monday, 9 March 2015

A Few Things from... Primark

Primark PS. Love Makeup
In this photo: £1 Eyebrow Pencil (With L'Oreal Brow Artist on top, as the colour was off), £1 Volumising Mascara in Blue, £1 Lipliner in 01 and £1.50 Matte Long Last Lipstick

I love trying out new brands, and last week I went to Primark to test their PS. Love range. They've actually had this range out for a year, but before I started this blog I felt no real urge to try it out... I mean I know I love budget brands and everything but even I'm pretty skeptical of how good a £1 mascara can actually be. But curiosity got the better of me, and I ended up picking up a couple of things when I went to get a pair of jeggings. The Primark I visited had a very limited selection so I couldn't get all the things I'd heard about, but I tried to get a mix of eye, base and lip products.


The only base thing they had in my shade was a Foundation Stick in Light for £2. I thought it would be a high coverage product that could be a foundation and concealer in one, and if it turned out to be too dark I'd just use it as a cream contour. Sadly, it's not suitable for any of those things. It's half a shade too dark, too dark as a foundation and too light for contour. It's got so little coverage that it could never replace a concealer, I had to really build this up to cover redness and once you're past the first layer things get more and more cakey. I couldn't even bear to put this on for the photograph. I can't make this work. I think girls with normal or oily skin might like this more than I did.

I also grabbed a Eyebrow Pencil in Light for £1 which I liked because of the price and the little spoolie on the end. It was too soft to get natural, fine strokes with this, and the colour is very orange, even for a redhead like me. I would highly recommend that you spend an extra £2 and grab the Rimmel Professional Brow Pencil if you're on a budget. 

Then I threw Volumising Mascara in Blue in my basket, which was also £1. I have a few open mascaras at the moment, so I thought I'd get a blue one as it was just something a bit different. The brush was pretty decent and there wasn't a lot of mess, and it gave a natural-with-some-clumps result, as most budget mascaras tend to. The blue colour is actually really nice, I've been wearing this on the lower lashes a lot and it works really well to bring out my eye colour, but I won't be wearing this on my top lashes again as I prefer a more dramatic look. I would recommend this in brown for any girls at school who don't want to look like they're wearing makeup.

Swatches from left to right:
Lipliners in 01 and 03, Matte Long Last Lipsticks in Pink Fizz and no shade name (?), and 
Eyebrow Pencil in Light

I got a few things for the lips, because I've had good cheap lippies before and I know they don't need to be expensive to be decent. I got two of the LongLasting Matte Lipsticks for £1.50 each, though I wish I hadn't as the colours aren't what I expected them to be. There were no testers so I judged by the colours on the tube. Unfortunately, this led to some surprises. I thought the shade Pink Fizz was a coral colour - the kind Christina Hendricks would wear on Mad Men - but it's turned out to be a vivid Barbie pink. Not my cup of tea, but looks alright when lightly dabbed on and blended out. I thought I got a red shade which they couldn't be bothered to name, but it turned out to be a very dark pink. This is actually the most wearable shade I picked up. I'm wearing in the photograph, with the 01 Lipliner on my cupid's bow. I smudged it out with my finger and it lasted through multiple cups of tea. I'm impressed!

I also got two of the £1 Lipliners. I got a nude one called 03, thinking of the natural-but-overdone Kylie Jenner thing that's popular at the moment. It looks more orange than brown on me so I'll have to give that a miss (you can see in the swatches it looks almost the same as the eyebrow pencil). I actually quite like the red lipliner in 01, though. I don't wear red lips that often, but when I do they need a lipliner, so why not have a cheap one on standby?

I know I only tried out a few things, but I'm really not in any rush to pick up anything else. I think their makeup bags excite me far more than their makeup range - but the volumising mascara is nice for makeup beginners or those who want a natural look, and the red lipliner might be worth adding to your basket next time you're picking up some jeans. I love the Long Lasting Matte Lipsticks and I'm impressed with the lasting powder, but I'm not sure about the shade selection.

Have you tried anything from PS. Love? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. i haven't tried anything yet because i got no idea of their existence.
    next time i'll be in the uk, i'll remember to give it a try because prices are so competitive!(:

    xx from Italy
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope | youtube

    ReplyDelete
  2. £1 lipliner?! Amazing! Thinking a trip to Primark is definitely in order after reading this...lovely photos too!

    Sinéad xo ♥ fabuleuse, toujours ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I'd recommend them - just try to swatch them first so that you don't end up with a dodgy orange one like me x

      Delete