Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Makeup: Where To Save And Splurge (Extreme Budget Edition)


Before I get on with this post, I should probably make it clear that my idea of a "splurge" is a product costing £10-£15, which is probably far lower than most women in their twenties. However, I have a much lower income than them (I had this ridiculous idea to do a Master's Degree and then start a blog while working in a shop part-time instead of looking for a "traditional" career) and as I'm sure you're all aware by now, I only shop on the High Street, never in Department stores. In fact, with my income, I really shouldn't be buying as much makeup as I do in the first place. Oh well.

So back to the post. Even though I know I won't be spending £30 on the latest Nars foundation anytime soon, I still think there's a huge difference between spending £2 and spending £12. I haven't seen many bloggers tap into that - to most "Highstreet" (or "Drugstore" as everyone is insisting on calling it) is just bundled into one category. That's where the idea for this post came from, because there are times where £1 will get you something pretty decent and times where I have to fork out a bit more. This might be different for everyone who reads it, so let me know what you think in the comments.

Where To Splurge (£10+)
I actually don't splurge all that often (surprise, surprise) but when I do it will be on the base products.  I've done a post on my difficulty finding foundations before, but basically I have to fork out a bit more to get something pale enough that also won't irritate my sensitive skin, so I expect to spend around a tenner. For powders, most people could definitely get away with saving in this category, but once again my sensitive skin is rather fussy. Even though I couldn't believe the Soap and Glory Kick Ass Powder was £12, it's certainly very nice to use and does keep everything looking matt and blurs out the pores a bit, too. Another thing I really have to have despite the price-tag is the No7 Colour Calming Primer in Green, yes it's £10.50 but it lasts for ages as I'm only using a peasize amount.

Where To Save (£3 Or Less)
I love trying really cheap makeup, yes some of it will be awful in the trial-and-error process but it's great to find some gems. I don't think I'll ever use another eyebrow pencil apart from the Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel, it lasts for so long and it's £2.99. If you can find a colour that suits you, you'll probably never look anywhere else. Blush is one of those things that I don't bother to wear everyday as I flush naturally, and in all honesty I'm still not sure what shades suit me, so when I feel the urge to add a blush to my basket I get a cheaper option. I'm loving the MUA Blush in Candyfloss, which for only £1 is very well pigmented and applies beautifully.

If I'm trying something outside my comfort zone, I'll pay as little as possible. I saw a picture of Karen Gillan with a statement bright pink lip and knew I wanted to try it out but at the same time I know I won't wear something like that every day! I got the Makeup Revolution Lipstick in Dazzle, a bright, creamy blue-toned pink that applies beautifully.

...And Somewhere In The Middle
For eyeshadow palettes, I only really consider Makeup Revolution these days. I like the £6 Salvation palettes that have huge mirrors and a range of shimmer and matte colours, the pigmentation is great. They're amazing value for money. I always treat myself to at least one palette when I go on their website. While we're chatting about eyes, my mascara sweetspot is around £6-£8 at the moment,  I find any less and 90% of the time they turn out to be rubbish, but what's the point in spending more when they dry up after two months?

What do you guys like to save and splurge on?

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow that palette looks ridiculously gorgeous!!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makeup Revolution know how to do a good palette ;)

      Delete
  2. That is such a great idea! I know sometimes 'drugstore' products can be quite expensive as well. Some people forget that part ;) Lovely post! I too am a splurger on foundation. I do like to splurge on eyeshadows as well because I just love them!

    I am in desperate need of guest posters to keep my inspirational Wednesday going, if you are interested: http://charlinehasablog.blogspot.com/2015/02/notetoself-call-for-guest-posts.html

    Love, Charline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eyeshadows are a good investment! Thanks for the comment.
      I've had a look at your post, I'll have a little think for quotes and possibly email you later (I know there's a really good one at the back of my mind somewhere...) xx

      Delete