Wednesday, 11 February 2015

I Can't Do Winged Eyeliner (But This Will Do)




I was really hoping this would be a blog post about how I've finally found the one product that I can master winged eyeliner with. When I started wanting to write about perfecting new makeup techniques, one of the ones I was hoping to master was winged eyeliner. (And do you know what? Every now and again, I manage to do it - but only when I'm not going anywhere, or when I intend to take photographs for a blog post.) I've tried everything over the years. I got a Collection Gel Pot and tried to use it with an angled brush, and failed miserably. I came to realise this was a little ambitious for a beginner, so I tried my luck with pens instead. I saw Suzi from Hello October profess her love for the Collection Extreme Felt Liner and draw it on in a matter of seconds and I thought "hey, even I can do that." Turns out, I can't. I tried the Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner too, which is fine for having a standard line, but I can't do a flick to save my life.

I don't think it's the fault of the products, I think I just have the wrong eye shape. I have round, hooded eyes, and whenever I do a wing they seem to disappear under the fold of skin. Perhaps part of the problem is that winged eyeliner takes at least five minutes and I don't always have time to practice in the mornings. But it's ok, I've come to accept this. Sometimes to make makeup work for you, you have to understand what does and doesn't work. I've decided to stick to my favourite technique, using a kohl pencil. I take the black Natural Collection Eye Lines Pencil and do a bit of tightlining, and then go in between the lashes. When I line my actual eyelid, I only do the outer third and then smudge it out a bit so that I don't have to worry about it being super neat. Most of the time, you'd barely know it's there, but it makes such a difference in defining my eyes and making my lashes look fuller. If I can really be bothered, I'll add the white Barry M Kohl Pencil in my waterline to brighten my eyes (go for a nude colour if you're not as pale as me). My final tip is to layer on Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara, so that any mess disappears underneath fluttery lashes.

Oh, and just for future reference - I can't apply false eyelashes, either. Some beauty blogger, huh?

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!