Monday, 12 January 2015

Things I Really Need to Stop Hoarding (But Can't)


I come from a long line of hoarders. My mum has mountains of clothes and vintage fabrics, while my dad has enough books to start his own library. For me, it's my collection of beauty products that keeps getting out of hand (I remember when I started this blog I hoped it would "justify" having more makeup than I could ever wear in a lifetime). Sometimes it's trial and error; I don't like one mascara so I buy another one, and another one, until I find one that I like. Sometimes it's because I get given things; on Christmas and Birthday's, my moisturisers and shower gels triple in quantity. Sometimes it's because I leave the house and need something while I'm out that I've left at home, like a lip balm for instance, and as they're cheap I end up buying another one. But most of the time, it's because I just love shopping. Here are some of the things I can't stop hoarding...

Lipbalms
I only really like Vaseline and the clear Baby Lips, but somehow I've accumulated fifteen lipbalms. In my defence, eleven of them were given to me for Christmas in various giftsets.
Current Favourite: My tin of Vaseline Original is almost empty. Can I justify buying another one when I have so many others, even though I really like this one? Probably not.

Hand Creams
I have quite dry, sensitive hands - the type that go pink after using cheap soap. So I always need a hand cream for my bag. And one for my bedside table. And my desk. Because only having one and then remembering where I left it would be silly.
Current Favourite: Garnier Intensive 7 Days Hand Cream in Honey. Doesn't smell like honey, but it's not greasy and does a good job.

Bodywash, Moisturisers, And Other Bath Tat
Santa definitely got the memo about me liking The Bodyshop. This is another stash in my inventory that doubled at Christmas. In fact, I got so many at Christmas that I've forbidden myself from buying any until I've used up some of them.
Current Favourite: I got the Shea Body Butter and the matching Shower Cream in a Christmas giftset and love them both. Oh, and the Wild Argan Oil Bubble Bath. Wonderful stuff.

Nail Polish
How many shades of pink do I really need? At least a dozen, apparantly.
Current favourite: Maybelline Superstay Gel Nail Colour in Rose Poudré is a really nice greyish-pink that I've been wearing a lot recently.

Lipsticks
I would say my makeup collection overall is pretty excessive, but there are two areas that exceed everything else: lipsticks and eyeshadow. When it comes to lipstick, my makeup doesn't feel complete without it. I have lots of different colours and finishes because I keep changing my mind on what I like.
Current Favourite: I can't pick just one! Though I guess my ultimate failsafe is Rimmel Kate Lasting Finish Lipstick in Number 19. At the time of writing, I can't find the exact colour online. I hope it's not discontinued because I've nearly got to the end of mine...

Neutral Eyeshadow Palettes
I'm a sucker for a reasonably priced eyeshadow palette with bronze/pink/gold/brown shades and there always seems to be a new one coming out that I just have to have. Currently, most of the ones in my collection are from Makeup Revolution and there's still a few more on their website that I'd like to get. Even though a lot of them are very similar, I don't feel too guilty as any Makeup Revolution reviews/hauls are always the most read posts on my blog.
Current Favourite: I'm getting into pinks at the moment so I'm loving the Makeup Revolution Salvation Palette in 'What You Waiting For?'

I'm hoping that I get through a few items in my stash this year, and donate/throw away anything that I know I won't use. Obviously, even though I'm a huge hoarder, I never keep anything past it's expiry date. That's just gross.

What do you hoard the most? Let me know in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Why do lipsticks and nail polishes always seem to multiply? ;) x

      Delete
  2. Haha you can never have enough of these though! I have far too many neutral eyeshadow palettes but you'll never convince me that more browns aren't necessary ;) xx


    Magpie Jasmine || Palette Giveaway: Urban Decay, Nars, Charlotte Tilbury, Too Faced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! In fact I've been eyeing up a few more today! I'm an addict xx

      Delete
  3. Nail polishes are made for hoarding I swear. Even when they are thick & gloopy I can't part from them!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to buy a little acrylic shelf for mine! Have you tried nail polish thinner? Might save your gloopy polishes :) x

      Delete