Monday, 26 January 2015

The Nail Routine


As a teenager, I bit my nails. I stopped in my early twenties, but they're still weak from years of neglect. They're thin and struggle to grow - however, I've recently developed a routine that's finally got them longer and (slightly) stronger.

I start off with the queen of all nail strengtheners, the OPI Original Nail Envy. This stuff is painfully expensive (though I buy it on Amazon for half the RRP), but if you've tried every Sally Hanson and nothing is working, this might be worth the investment. It transformed my weak, thin and soft nails to strong ones. After using this religiously I saw white tips on the ends of my nails for the first time in years. One warning though; this stuff does go goopy pretty quickly so you'll need to have a decent nail polish thinner on standby. Mine's the Salon System Nail Polish Thinner which I get from eBay.

Once I've put two coats of the OPI on, I use one coat of a normal base coat on top. At the moment I'm using the Collection 2-in-1 Basecoat and Ridge Filler. As I tend to paint my nails darker colours in Winter, I like using a base coat so that they don't stain my nails. 

When this is dry, my nails are strengthened and protected and ready for the colour to go on top. After the colour has been on for long enough to completley dry, I go in with the Seche Vite Professional Top Coat, which will stop the colour from chipping. Like the OPI, this also goes goopy pretty fast, but it's nothing the nail polish thinner can't help with.

To help my nails further, I use Acetone-free nail polish remover when it's time to switch things up, like the Superdrug Nourishing Nail Polish Remover.

What are your favourite nail strengtheners? Do any of you know a cheaper alternative to OPI? I'm going to have to repurchase it soon and my purse is crying already.

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!