Friday, 2 January 2015

Resolutions for 2015


I normally set the same bog-standards resolutions every single year. Loose weight. Work hard. Get a life. This year, I want to focus on one thing: happiness. As strange as it sounds, I've never thought of happiness as something I had to work for, I just assumed it sort of happened. When I was at university, I thought if I worked hard, poured all my energy into my degree and did really well then it would make me happy. Well, I finished my Master's two months ago and despite getting a Distinction I can confirm that that's not the case. It's funny to think of what might have happened if I'd put that time and energy into being happy - maybe instead of thinking about what I had to study, I could have thought about fun things to do when I saw my boyfriend, or plan when I was going to relax and have some me-time. It's almost like I forgot to look after myself. But I want that to change.

1. Put happiness above everything else.
I make a lot of decisions based on other people - their feelings, their judgement, etc. I want 2015 to be the year I put my own needs first. I tend to think that's a selfish thing to do, but let's face it, I'm 24 years old and my life has to start some time. Most of my resolutions stem from this.

2. Work on this blog full time (or work towards that goal if it's not financially possible for the first few months/years).
Most of the successful full-time bloggers I love found their career by accident after it started out as a hobby, so I don't know if I'm jinxing it by aspiring to be a full-time blogger (even though I don't expect to make any money, at all, for quite some time). All I know is that I really love working on this blog, reading other people's, and watching beauty-related Youtube videos. I might find a new job in 2015 (I say "might" as the job market is looking pretty bleak for an art graduate at the moment), but even if I do I still want to give this blog the time it deserves.

3. Start making videos to add to this blog.
This is something I've wanted to do for a while, but just not got round to yet. I think there are certain blog posts like hauls and makeup tutorials that just work better as videos, as some of my posts can get a bit too long, plus I did a fair bit of video work on my degree so I would know how to do it. I'm not sure where I'm going to be living this year as me and my boyfriend are talking about moving, but wherever we end up I hope I have the space to set up a tripod and ideally my studio lights.

4. Take more personal photographs.
I take a lot of photographs for this blog, but very few of my life outside it. Before I started studying Photography I documented everything that happened to me. Over the last few days I've started taking my camera out and then uploading them to my Instagram account (@missalicered) as a photo diary, which I'm really enjoying.

5. Write that novel I've had stuck in my head for two years.
It's nothing to do with beauty, if you're wondering - it's more teen/young-adult fiction. I'd really like to see it finished and published, even if only my parents buy a copy.

6. Read more (fiction).
I read a lot of blogs, and love flicking through a good photography book, but my love for fiction has dwindled over the years. When I find something I like, I will read it all day, but I struggle to find something I'll like in the first place. I'm sure I could find more recommendations if I looked for them. I might even invest in a Kindle, as I much prefer reading long chunks of text on a screen.

What do you want to achieve in 2015?

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!