Friday, 30 January 2015

Makeup Beyond My Comfort Zone: Lipgloss

On the lips: Rimmel Colour Rush Balm in Keep Mauvin', with Seventeen Lip Lustre.
(There is no shade name on the Lip Lustre, but it's a mid pink with a lot of glitter)

I've recently noticed that although I have a lot of makeup, most of it is very similar (collectors of neutral eyeshadow palettes will know where I'm coming from). Seeing as it's still January - and for some bizarre reason January is when people try new things - I thought I'd start a new series on this blog where I try makeup I wouldn't normally reach for. Although I'm reluctant to spend money on something I might not like, it will be worth it if I end up really liking something... and even if I don't, at least it'll make an interesting review, right?

In this episode, I'll be trying... lipgloss. Despite not really wearing lipgloss, somehow I own nine. I loved it as a teenager and was a bit scared of lipstick, but in my twenties it's definitely been the other way round. Now when I try them, I can't get the hang of how sticky and sheer they are. But then my BFF got me a gift set for Christmas with mini versions of the Seventeen Lip Lustre glosses (I can't find the exact set online, but I'll just assume they're the same as the full size versions over here). I thought I'd give them a whirl, along with a couple of Makeup Revolution Lip Gloss Tubes that I probably bought on a whim a while ago due to their low pricetag.

As they're all pretty sheer, I thought I'd wear them on top of lipstick, but that just felt like a bit too much on my lips and was a bit of a phaff to top up. Then I started pairing them with lip crayons, and that's when things got interesting. I got the best of both worlds: the colour, pigment and long-lasting stain from the lip crayon, with the added shine of the gloss on top. It's a great way to fake healthy looking lips when they get a bit dry at this time of year. Although I did find the stickiness a bit off-putting at first, I find that it does tend to calm down after the first minute or so... just try not to move your lips too much before it settles.

Do you ever wear lipgloss? How do you make it work?

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!