Monday, 15 December 2014

Makeup Revolution: Iconic 1 Palette. Review, Looks & Swatches.


After my Review, Looks & Swatches post for the I Heart Makeup: Death By Chocolate Palette went down so well, I thought I'd make a similar post for another new addition to my collection after my ridiculous Makeup Revolution haul. This is the Iconic 1 Palette. Isn't it lovely?

The palette is definitely a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked Palette, except it's only £4, instead of £37.  It's also quite similar to the MUA Undressed Palette that also costs £4, which I used to own and used quite a lot. The shadows have a few neutrals, some golds, some pinks and some blues; so you could create safe or more adventurous looks with this. It's got a few staple colours which will be good for most looks, like the first shade which is a very light pink perfect for highlighting the inner corner and the browbone, and the matt browns which are good for the crease.

Like everything made by Makeup Revolution and I Heart Makeup, in my opinion this palette looks like it cost more than it did. The plastic packaging is practical but still quite glamourous. It feels quite sturdy but obviously it's still early days, and my MUA palette got completely battered over the year or two I owned it and I can't help but worry this might suffer the same fate. But for £4, I'm pleased with how it looks.


When I first swatched it I couldn't seem to get any colour out of it, but the trick is to rub the top layer off and then try it, and then the shadows were much less chalky and more pigmented. I'm not blown away by the pigmentation, but it's still very good. The matt colours can be a bit tricky to blend and the paler shades on the left of the palette don't show up well on me, but it's not a deal breaker.

I have to mention that the colour selection is incredibly similar to the Salvation Palette in 'What You Waiting For?', which for an extra £2 has more colours and a mirror. It also looks identical to the I Heart Makeup 'Selfie' Palette which I don't own. If you wanted something like the Iconic 1 Palette that was better suited for travel I would pick the Salvation Palette. You probably don't need both unless you're a hoarder like me, but both are very good buys.


I like to use this palette for a shimmery pink daytime look, using the shimmery pinks and matt browns in the left of the palette. For this photograph, I've also used the darkest blue colour on an angled brush as a powder liner, which gives the look a bit of an edge. This a nice girly look, quite colourful but without going overboard which is the sort of thing I'm wearing a lot these days. Works wonderfully with a berry lipstick.


For the second look, I worked with the neutral tones. I started off with the lightest matte brown all over the lid, and the darker matte brown in the crease. I went over the lid with the gold colour, which isn't as pigmented as I would like but is nice as a subtle sparkle on top of the matte brown. To finish it off and make it a bit more smokey, I added the darkest shimmery brown on the outer-v on the lid and blended it up and out.

As this is a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked Palette, you could easily recreate any look designed for that palette, too.

In summary, if you're on a serious budget this is one of the best palettes under a fiver that you can get. However, I personally prefer the £6-£8 palettes from Makeup Revolution and I Heart Makeup, with more colours, big mirrors, better packaging and better pigmentation for only a few pounds more.

Have you guys tried this palette? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't tried this one, but I have one of the bigger palettes from Make Up Rev and I love it - it's my go to palette right now!

    Drea xo
    Drea's Junkyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drea :) I have a serious addiction to their palettes and I might even get more! x

      Delete