Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Makeup Look: Party-Proof Glittery Eyes


At New Year's Eve, I crack out the glitter. It's mandatory. This look is a bit lighter than my Christmas look but still has enough glitter and shimmer to add drama, complete with a drink-proof lip.

I started out with a light base, applying the Gosh CC Cream Illuminating Foundation in Porcelain with my fingers. I still had a bit of redness peeping through so I went over my flushed cheeks with the Revlon Colorstay Foundation (I really like layering products for a flawless finish). To prevent the makeup from moving around, I spritzed some of the Makeup Revolution Pro Fix Makeup Fixing Spray on my face and patted everything down with a Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.

As I was using a lot of glitter on the eyes, I decided to do them before adding concealer so that I could clear up any fallout. This also gave time for the layers of foundation to sink into my skin a bit better. I started out with the Collection Work The Colour Eyeshadow Pencil in Vanilla Sky in the tearduct and in the waterline. For the base, I used a cream eyeshadow, the Maybelline Color Tattoo Leather Effect in Creamy Beige - I know it sounds strange to use a brown base for a silver/pink/purple eye, but the Color Tatoo is more like a glue for the glitter to cling to. Then I used a mix of the Natural Collection Solo Eyeshadow in Willow and the Seventeen Eyeshadow in Rose Quartz. For the crease, I grabbed the NYX Blush in Taupe. To finish off the eye shadow, I added the Makeup Revolution Eyedust in Supreme. Think of this as a glitter topcoat for the eyes - it adds a lovely sparkle, perfect for parties. Then I added the Collection Extreme 24 Hour Felt Tip Liner and a few coats of the Essence Lash Mania Mascara. For eyebrows, I used Rimmel Professional Brow Pencil in Hazel to fill in the sparse areas. I don't think the shimmer came out in the photographs, but in real life this combination is seriously sparkly.


After the eyes were done and I cleared up any glitter that had somehow landed on my cheeks, I went back to working on the base. I put the L'Oreal True Match Touche Magique Concealer under the eyes and Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer on any blemishes (the same as last time, and pretty much every time because I really don't have that many concealers). Then I added some Technic Highlighter on the tops of my cheeks, which is basically a £2 dupe for the Benefit High Beam but with a terrible applicator. I set the concealer with L'Oreal True Match Powder, which has a bit more coverage than your average powder but isn't too matte.  I got the same NYX Blush I'd use in my eyes and sculpted my cheeks with it, before using the Rimmel Mono Blush in Pink Rose and going over the cream highlight with the MUA Undress Your Skin Highlighting Powder for some extra shimmer.

There's a lot of shimmer going on with the cheeks and the eyes, so to finish it off I kept the lips pretty simple - but still drink-proof. I started with the Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in East End Snob, and then went over it with the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey. Things were getting a little dry at this point so I had to dab a little lip balm over the top, but those lips stuck around!

What makeup will you be wearing over the festive period?

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!