Sunday, 20 July 2014

Birthday Beauty Haul


You're going to want to get a cup of tea, as this is a long one. Last Saturday, it was my birthday, and I did some damage. This is kind of a yearly tradition for me. Besides, most if not all the products I bought were on offer... which kind of makes it ok, sort of...

The first thing on my list was the Maybelline SuperStay Better Skin Foundation in 05 Light Beige (not to be confused with the very similar-looking SuperStay 24hr Foundation). I bought this because it specifically says in the description that it can cover signs of stress including bumps, dullness and redness which is the big problem in my skin. My current collection of foundations take a couple of layers to cover it, so I'm hoping this higher-coverage one will do most of the work for me.


Then I went to the Seventeen counter to get two concealers, the Phwoarr Paint for under my eyes, and the Stay Time Concealer for blemishes - both of which I've been wanting to try for a while. I thought the under eye paint might be a bit too dark at first but when I swatched it in the shop it blended out quite nicely, so I think I'll get away with it. The Stay Time Concealer is the perfect shade, and a smidge lighter than the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer that recently ran out. I would have happily repurchased it, but as Seventeen were on offer I thought I'd try something different. When I was picking them up, I was distracted by the Solo Eyeshadows. I swatched Rose Quartz and Stauesque, and was amazed at the pigmentation so swiftly put them in my basket.

I got a couple of hair things, too. First, the Garnier Sleek Restorer Oil, which I've seen so many bloggers recommend recently that I couldn't help but think that it could do something to help with my naturally-frizzy hair, which has kind of exploded in the recent humidity. Then I picked up the Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends Intensive Mask. I tried the Honey and Apricot one a few months ago, and loved the scent and how soft my hair felt so I used it up rather quickly. I can't wait to try this one, too.


I spotted the MUA Highlighter which has been out of stock like, forever. It swatched so beautifully and it was only £3. Again, I've heard good things about this and can't wait to have a play with it.

I also picked up two nail polishes: the L'Oreal Color Riche in Peach Neglige, a lovely nude colour which will be great for work; and Rimmel 60 Seconds in Rose Libertine, which I've bought previously but it went a bit goopy, as they do. I have a billion pink nail polishes but Rose Libertine deserved a re-purchase.

I hadn't really got on board with the Revlon Lip Butters before - I bought the Peach Parfait one last year, and it's so glittery that it looks ridiculous and feels uncomfortable on the lips. But I guess I've been watching a few too many Essie Button videos recently, as I found myself buying Sweet Tart and Wild Watermelon when they were on a '2 For £10' offer (they're £7.99 each so it's actually a very good deal). I'm trying to get more into wearing bright colours on the lips, and these can be applied quite sheer, so it's not as scary or high maintenance. I'm really glad I gave the lip butters another go, I love these shades and will get a lot of wear out of them over summer.


As if that wasn't enough, I also got a freebie! Did you know that when you have a Bodyshop rewards card you get a free gift up to £5 on your birthday? I chose the Shea Lip Butter. I'm kind of addicted to lip balms and things like that. This little pot is perfect to keep on my bedside table.

Well done to those of you who made it to the end! What have you guys been buying recently?

I always read and reply to comments! Say hello!